Monday, January 8, 2007

A Close Encounter of the Beery Kind: My "Visit" to the Flying Saucer

I desperately tried earlier to post this blog in real time during my abduction episode, but my PDA's browser somehow let me down... Or was it a force field of some kind?

Not unlike the character Roy Neary in Close Encounters, I have been tormented the last few days by an unrelenting "signal" from afar. This signal has been beckoning me, occupying my thoughts and certainly influenced some of the planning for my latest business trip.

My current business requires me to visit Charlotte, NC, and as always, before I go anywhere, I check the Beerfly section on http://www.beeradvocate.com/. I always come away with some good ideas for my evenings on the road. This time it means being abducted by an unidentified flying object (that serves fantastic beer) so it's no problem...

Beerfly suggests I visit The Flying Saucer Beer Emporium near the UNCC campus. I am happy to discover that one of the nations better beer-bar chains has a location near UNCC, although it does not surprise me due to the fact that they seem to always locate near a university. The Flying Saucer (Herewith TFS) now operates eleven locations from Texas to North Carolina.

TFS is not a perfect beer bar, however. There are many smaller independents that really do it better, but we are talking "chain" here. The typical location features over 60 beer taps and a good selection of bottles to boot. TFS typically serves all the beer too cold, but they do proclaim loudly that "Amateurs request a frosted glass". The staff provides good service, but are not typically very knowledgeable about craft beer. The fact remains, however, that they have been able to continually expand locations and remain successful after 5 years in the business. Being in the land of "King Tobacco", this location allows smoking. I defend a business's right to operate the way they see fit, but as a patron, I would tend avoid smoking establishments if given the choice of an alternative. But This the Saucer! I gotta go!

Tonight is $2.50 pint night. That is a really good deal at today's beer prices. This included almost all of the draft selection. After my chicken sandwich, I quaffed a couple of pints, but I was not satiated. I migrated towards the specialty section of the menu. I also helped a few college kids pick a tasty pint. After my Rochefort 10 and my Bush (oops!) Scaldis 12, (both are strong Belgian Ales) it was time to leave.

If you are in an area that is served by a Flying Saucer location, I urge you to give them a try. Even a Beer Snob like me awards points for effort...

Suds: Great beer selection, Always serve with a clean glass, Wine list, Pub food, Friendly and earnest staff.

Duds: Smoking, Beer is served too cold,

Website: www.beerknurd.com

Taste Beer!

No comments: