Friday, January 5, 2007

My 2006 Holiday "Beer Snob" Moment

Ok I admit it (isn't it already obvious?) I am a Beer Snob...

It was Christmas Eve and as usual we celebrate at my inlaws with a very traditional Italian X-Mas feast. The highlight of the meal is spaghetti with calamari sauce. The are many other fantastic selections of lightly fried seafood, vegtables and don't forget desserts.

I usually try to an interesting beer that will match up. Two of the Bros in law usually enjoy whatever beer I bring. We usually also have a Chianti or other dry table wine.

Before we left the house to go to the feast, I realized that the only decent bottle of beer that I had to bring was a Caracole Ambree that I had hoped to cellar. It already had 2 years on it but I thought that I should not go empty handed. I was ready to sacrifice it to the spirit of Christmas with the family.

This year I was surprised to see that My B-I-L came with 2 bottles of a great Sicilian wine called "Pinnochio". I turned him onto it after having it at a "Wine Shop" tasting at the Capitol Market. Unfortunately, the other B-I-L was laid up with a major head cold and was not there to help quaff down anything, leaving Alberto & I to do the work

I got as far as opening the cage on the Caracole (Yes! It's corked!), then beer snobbery set in... There was no way I was going to open this particular bottle in such a scenario where it would not be the star of the show. There was also a strong likelihood that I would wind up drinking most of it myself, due to the wine being there as well.

A beer like this one is meant to be shared. It also should really be a great match to the food that is served along with it. Today was not the day, so I discretely twisted the cage back in place and stealthily removed it from the table.

We wound up splitting a bottle of Edmund Fitzgerald Porter with some chocolate desserts.

The Caracole will have its day!

Taste Beer!

No comments: